Thursday 7 March 2013

World Book Day!

Today is World Book Day and how fortunate we are to live a life embroidered with books. They fill me with such joy and so often inspire me beyond words. A day is not a day without reading. Fortunately my little lovelies are also fully submerged into the world of books and at the moment we are going through the nightly battle of getting Josh, our five year old, to switch off his reading lamp (a purchase I thought was a great idea at the time).At the moment he is staying up till way past ten at night reading to himself (which I LOVE), but it is now affecting his little body and his tiredness is taking form in other ways, such as having an upset tummy most days. If anyone has any advice on this, please share. I feel so torn on the matter as I have spent the last five years reading to him and encouraging him to read as often as possible and now that he wants to stay up and read, I am telling him he can't pass a certain time! Its a tough one for me, but I am a firm believer that even kids can identify with the signals their bodies give them and he will hopefully soon learn that he needs some more rest. We will however continue to encourage him to read some books after his 'betime', but equally try and ensure that his light goes out earlier.


So, today their school gave each child a big plackard for them to draw the front cover of their favourite book, and offcourse Josh has chosen Star Wars. It is fair to say that he is completely and utterly obsessed with ALL aspects of Star Wars, whether it is books or LEGO. There is not a day that goes by that he doesn't draw a picture of Star Wars. We have been a little reserved with letting him watch all of the episodes as I really feel that they are inappropriate for a five year old. This is tricky though as all his friends at school have already watched them all and so the information flows. We have offcourse gotten every possible book from the liabrary to read so he is most propably pretty well informed about the nitty gritty's of Star Wars. So for today's cover he chose: 'Yoda in Action'. 


 
 
Little Es, who had to dress up as a character of a book and she chose to dress-up as Belle, from Beauty and the Beast and she even wore the heals. She is pretty impressive on heals, I have to say. She can even run in them, something I haven't mastered in my years. It was really lovely today dropping them off at school and seeing what lovely books children had chosen as their favourite books. I think it always says soo much.






Today, my choice of book will be Harper Lee's 'To kill a mockingbird'. I absolutely love this book. It oozes with character, moral dilemnas and racial ineqaulity (something very close to my heart). Its the kinda book that I will read and read again-and-again over the course of my life. I don't think I can ever tire of it. There are many others that come close to this choice, but today I just choose the one.

When I came into my kitchen this morning I was welcomed by the most amazing scent from the lovely daffodils. I just love them. I don't think any space can ever have too many of them. They are just soo beautiful.



1 comment:

  1. I am so happy that they are such bookworms. They might not look anything like me, but at least they have that! haha.

    ReplyDelete